Go outside and do things! Explore the trails with us this winter in our 8th annual Rocks and Roots Winter Trail Series in January and February! Choose from distances of 10K, 20K, 30K, 40K, or 50K at both dates. Opt to run just one of the races, or sign up for both races and receive the Trail Package, which includes our RnR Hoody, Balega Socks, and a Handheld Water Bottle! Keep reading to learn more!
For 2020 our events will be held on Sunday, January 12th and Sunday, February 16th. We are again partnering with the Ohio Department of Natural Resources to put on our 8th annual trail running series at Alum Creek State Park. Just like in the past you have the option to sign up for 2 event dates and a WIDE variety of distances, on the only trail in Ohio built for runners, by runners, the Rocks and Roots Trail at Alum Creek!
What – 10K, 20K, 30K 40K & 50K Trail Racing Series
When – For 2020 our events will be held on Sunday, January 12th and Sunday, February 16th. Both races start at 8:00 am. Again this year we are starting the race in waves. Wave start times listed below.
- 50K/40K/30K Start – 8:00am
- 20K Start – 8:15am
- 10K Start – 8:30am
Where: Rocks and Roots Trail at Alum Creek State Park. The start of the race is located just off of Hollenback Rd and just south of the dog park(3993 Hollenback Rd Lewis Center, OH 43035). Watch for yellow Fleet Feet arrows pointing you in the right direction!
The Central Ohio Trail Running Community continues to grow and we are excited to provide you with the resources our trail community needs! Join the Rocks and Roots Trail Runners Association for training runs and trail works days as we ramp up for the annual Rocks and Roots Trail Series!
Train for the series along with Fleet Feet Trail Crew! The group hosts two organized workouts per week, on Saturday mornings at 7am, and Thursday evenings at 7pm! They offer training programs from 10K to 30K, and will support those of your crazy folks training for a 50K as well with a training plan, but you may run a few solo miles 😉 Learn more here.
One entry fee gets you entry into both events on the Trails!! Plus, you get:
- Trail Running Package!
- 1 hooded sweatshirt (unisex/mens sizing)
- 1 Amphipod Handheld Hydration Bottle
- 1 Pair Balega Socks, 2 gels/bars from CLIF!
- (Trail Running Package is limited to the first 300 who register for the entire series)
- 5 distances to choose from
- 2 unique event shirts (gender specific sizing)
- Finisher Medals to all participants.
- Belt Buckle to double 50K finishers!
Not sure you can commit to both races? You have the option to sign up for each event individually! But, you don’t get the Trail Running Package 😦
Cost: Individual Events (Shirt/Medal Only, Trail Package NOT included)
- $55 – Through September 30
- $60 – October 1 through November 30
- $65 – December through December 31
- $70 – January 1 through Race Day
Cost: The Series (Includes both race dates and the Trail Package!)
- $105 – Through September 30
- $115 – October 1 through November 30
- $125 – December 1 through December 31
- $135 – January 1 through Race Day
Please note: The Rocks and Roots Trail Series has a NO REFUND and NO BIB TRANSFER policy for all events.
The Course: The Rocks & Roots Trail Series is aptly named as there are a LOT of rocks and roots. You will encounter stream crossings. Rocks & Roots are likely to be covered by leaves, snow, and or mud! See map below!
There will be at least one water crossing depending on course conditions! Please walk and run only on marked trails. Running off trail, including just off to the side of the worn path, damages the ecosystem, and causes unrepairable damage to the trail.
The course is comprised of two 10K loops held primarily on single track trail. Runners will run the north and south loops in a figure 8. 1st loop runs to the NORTH loop and is run clockwise, 2nd loop is run SOUTH and is run counter-clockwise. Repeat as necessary! Loops are repeated as necessary based on selected race distance.
Aid Stations: Aid stations will be located at the 10K loop start/finish, at 3.5 miles on the south loop, and the 10K lap point, and around 9.5 miles (3.5 miles into the north loop). Aid stations will be stocked with water, Gatorade, Clif Shots, Clif Bloks, and other delicious treats as determined by our amazing core of volunteers! And of course, we will have our world famous chilli waiting for you at the finish line… or before you start each 10K loop if you’re brave enough 😉
- The course closes for 50Kers at 4:00pm (8 hour limit – 15:27 pace for 50K). All 50K participants must begin their 4th lap before 1:00pm. All 50K participants must begin their 5th and final lap before 2:20pm.
Packet Pickup: Two separate packet pickup dates for each event.
- January event – January 9th-11th at Fleet Feet Sports (1270 E Powell Rd, 43035)
- February event – February 13th-15th at Fleet Feet Sports (1270 E Powell Rd, 43035)
- Race day – Starting at 7:15 a.m. No trail running package pickup. Shirt and bib pickup only!
Parking: Parking can be found in the lots surrounding the start/finish area.
Training Runs: Join our Rocks & Roots Trail Runners for fun, FREE group runs at EVERY Tuesday night at the Rocks and Roots Trail! You’ll get a chance to preview the course as well as check out the new sections as we are building them! Click here for dates and locations!
Questions? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Sponsors: If you are interested in being a sponsor please e-mail email@example.com